Saturday 16 March 2019

Mortal Engines | Philip Reeve

Author: Philip Reeve
Title: Mortal Engines
Series: Book One of The Predator Cities (aka The Mortal Engines Quartet)
Rating: 4* 
Publisher: Marlon Lloyd Books
Pages: 388 pages 
Published: 7th June 2011
Format: Physical and Audiobook
Bought/ARC: Bought via Waterstones 

The first book in the award-winning Mortal Engines quartet.
In a dangerous future, huge motorized cities hunt, attack and fight each other for survival. As London pursues a small town, young apprentice Tom is flung out into the wastelands, where a terrifying cyborg begins to hunt him down. 

Mortal Engines
 launched Philip Reeve's brilliantly-imagined creation, the world of the Traction Era, where mobile cities fight for survival in a post-apocalyptic future. Now, in time for the film debut, the critically acclaimed Mortal Engines quartet is repackaged with a fantastic and eye-catching cover featuring new artwork.

I originally bought this book because the film looked really good and I noticed it in Waterstones. I went Sale Shopping on Boxing Day and fancied something a bit different. Then when I saw them on buy one get one half price I was initially going to get Book 1 & 2 but then I bought books 3 & 4 as well. Because, why not! 

Mortal Engines is the first book in a set of four which follows the people of London and fellow cities after a war which left cities standing as motorized cities. Let's just say I'm really glad that I picked up all four books in the series. I started reading the physical copy of the book I had just before I went back to work, but then finished it off as an Audiobook. 

The main Character, Tom, is the hero of our story. An Apprentice Historian on the London Movement. After going about his day Tom comes across Hester after an attempted Assassination on his Boss and never-before-met Hero. Hester is seeking revenge on Valentine after she feels he is responsible for the murder of both her Parents when she was younger. After that, Tom and Hester, embark on a journey they'll never forget and meet people they'd never imagined before. 

The concept of the novel and the idea behind the storyline is clever and well thought out. The pace of the book matches the way the storyline moves and the action is fast paced but lengthy enough to feel a part of the novel in itself. 

I really enjoyed reading/listening to this book. I would have preferred different people to narrate different characters in the story rather than the same narrator using different accents and voices. As good as they were. I'll definitely end up reading probably the rest of the series and I am interested in watching the film too. 


No comments:

Post a Comment