Monday 1 April 2019

Book Review | Nevernight by Jay Kristoff

Author: Jay Kristoff
Title: Nevernight
Series: Book One of The Nevernight Chronicles 
Rating: 5* 
Publisher: HarperCollins
Pages: Kindle Edition - 448 (I read the ARC which has 642) 
Published: 11th August 2016
Format: Paperback ARC
Bought/ARC: ARC sent by the Publisher in return for an honest review 

Mia Corvere is only 10 years old when she is given her first lesson in death. 
Destined to destroy empires, the child raised in shadows made a promise on the day she lost everything: to avenge herself on those that shattered her world. 
But the chance to strike against such powerful enemies will be fleeting, and Mia must become a weapon without equal. Before she seeks vengeance, she must seek training among the infamous assassins of the Red Church of Itreya. 
Inside the Church's halls, Mia must prove herself against the deadliest of opponents and survive the tutelage of murderers, liars and daemons at the heart of a murder cult. 
The Church is no ordinary school. But Mia is no ordinary student.


It took me so long to pick this book up and I don't know if it was because the hype was so overwhelming that it kind of put me off or because my expectations were so high I didn't think it possible to live up to what I was expecting this book to be. How wrong was I!

It took me quite a long time to finish this book, s it is probably one of the largest books I've read all month and will do all year, at over 600 pages it's something different for me. I usually average books around the 350/400 page mark and that's generally my limit. Mainly because I struggle to keep interested in longer books or series, never mind a book that's both!

Nevernight was such an amazing read. It's intense form the beginning without you actually fully knowing what's going on. You think you do, but you don't. Trust me. You don't. It really is an epic read. 

Mia isn't the most loveable character as most portray. But that doesn't take anything away from what she is as a character. She's well written written and well crafted. Jay Kristoff clearly has a very big talent in character creation and development. 
And Tric, oh Tric! Tric was just the most adorable and loveable character and so underrated in Nevernight. He's my absolute favourite character, and will forever be that. he's that love-to-hate figure in Mia's life which lifts the storyline and stops it being so dark and heavy all the way through. he gives the book those happier and funnier moments throughout which I really enjoyed. 

As much as the book felt a little daunting right from the beginning, and it felt a bit much the first 100 pages or so were a bit tough to get through and felt very world-building, character-building type chapters. But they were short and sweet and to the point. it gave you in insight into Mia and her life and why she is the way she is. i loved the back story, it real gave a greater meaning to the novel. 

The world-building is amazing. It's vivid and imaginative and makes for a better storyline and a better read. It's easier to read because the descriptions are insightful and well read.I loved the descriptions of the school. It felt very ornate and grander. Almost old-school boarding type place. Exactly how I'd picture it to be. A school for assassins should be grand, no? The Red School is fascinating and complex and I loved every bit of it. It's the kind of place you'd love to go. 

There are a few 'oh shit!' moments which I loved to read. Especially well spaced throughout the book that kept you guessing most of the way through Nevernight. I love a book that keeps me guessing and isn't predictable right from the start. Which are few and far between these days! 

Around half way through I really could not get enough of this book and found myself reading whenever and wherever I could. i was reading on the way to work, on my lunches, in the bath, the shower, at night, before bed. Everything. Which is really odd for me. I'd only ever usually read on my way to work and that'd be it for the day. But I HAD to know what was going on and what happened at the end which really added to my enjoyment of the book. 

All in all Nevernight is fast paced and enthralling. everything you want from a (not young adult) Fantasy book. It's really got my reading back on track and left me loving reading again after such a long time. I've found reading a pleasure recently and this was no different. Every page. Every word is well executed and well thought out. It's evident a lot of care and attention went into writing Nevernight and a lot of effort so in that I applaud such impeccable writing. 


No comments:

Post a Comment